Thursday, March 22, 2012

Heroes and Zeros

I think it was Charles Barkley, after getting caught doing who knows what, that said he wasn't trying to be a role model for kids.  Cade is Troy Polamalu fan and likes Will Ferrell.  Kenna absolutely loves her Henry County Patriots and Taylor Swift.  Case is in a Star Wars phase right now.  They all have different people that they look up to or want to be like when they grow up.  You know who I want their role model to be more than anyone?  Me.

I hope one of these days when they are adults they all look back and think that I was their best role model growing up.  I say when they are adults because I honestly believe that if your kids don't hate you when they are teenagers then you aren't doing a very good job as a parent.  Okay, maybe that's a bit much, but admit it, there is some truth to it.  Regardless, one of these days I hope they look back and realize that everything I did was because of or for them.  I hope at some point when they are sitting there holding their kids for the first time that a thought that goes through their mind is, "I hope I'm as good mom/dad as my mom and dad were." 

It's inevitable that my children are going to have athletes and celebrities that they look up to.  But those people will disappoint my children numerous times.  So will I though.  The difference is that I get the chance on a daily basis to redeem myself.  I'm not perfect.  But I ought to be the biggest role model that my kids have.  I should teach my sons how to be a good husband and father.  I should teach my daughter that she deserves a Godly man in her life and show her how her husband should treat her by being a Godly husband to my wife.  I should have time for them no matter how tired I am or how busy my day has been. 

If anyone ever ask them, "Who do you look up to?", I hope I'm one of the first people they think of.  If I'm not, then I have failed as a father.



No comments:

Post a Comment