Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why Do You Keep Doing That?

I had the great privilege today of eating lunch with a couple of old friends.  We talked about everything from work to faith to movies.  One of the most interesting conversations we had was about our children.

As parents, we have all been there.  Our children keep doing the same things that get them in trouble.  Each of mine have their own quirks.  With Cade, we have to tell him about 10 times to do something.  Kenna throws temper tantrums and Case has complete meltdowns when it's time to turn off the Wii or PS3.  Chad was telling us that his son, age 5, continues to do the same things to get in trouble.  When Chad ask him why he continues to do that, his answer is straight forward and brutally honest:  Because I wanted to.  We have the same conversations with our kids.  "Why do you continue to do the same things time and time again knowing that there will be negative consequences for your actions?"  We want to sometimes just take them by the shoulders and shake them to get them to understand that we are tired of always getting on to them for the same things.

In the midst of that conversation at lunch today, Chad brought up a point that has stuck with me all day:  Surely God feels the same towards us.  There are times that He must want to grab me by the shoulders and shake me while asking, "Why do you keep doing that?"  And the answer is as simple as a child's.  Because I want to.  I put earthly things above heavenly things.  I keep making the same mistakes over and over and over.  I don't seek Him like I ought to.  I continue to do things my way and those ways are the wrong ways.

I love my children and I only want what's best for them.  That's why it is frustrating when I try to guide their path, but they continue to do things their way.  Their way of doing things often isn't the way I envisioned them doing it.  They don't follow the instructions that I've given them.  Sometimes they do and everything goes great. But sometimes they don't and there are consequences.

Sounds familiar, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment